[CSS] de_747 beta

Show off your finished maps, models and other creations. Screen shots are a must!

[CSS] de_747 beta

Postby Captain Terror on Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:35 am

Image Image Image
Image Image Image
Image Image Image

DE_747 - CS:S Bomb Defusal map for TWHL Competiton 32, Re-Invent a CS Classic.

More Images
GameBanana Download

Objective
CTs must try to save TWHL Flight 32 and the adjacent fuel depot from destruction!

Credits
Everything is Valve afaik, besides a handful of textures.

THANKS
TWHL
Cfoust, for Propper and good support in forums.
The Mighty Atom, for HLLP and some help beta testing.
Archie, for always answering my questions.
=)

Notes
Most doors and windows on the plane and terminal are breakable.

Originally, this was supposed to be a hostage rescue map, but i had a really hard time getting the hosties to follow me through the plane. SO i took up a TWHL member's suggestion to make it a bomb defusal map, instead of trying to figure out the navigation mesh.

The plane is more or less a complete 747-400, with some obvious liberties taken like the air stairs in the back and some other things. All the seats and galleys are placed right where they would be on the real plane. (I DID take out a few rows of seats here and there, to allow better player movility)

This is not the newest version of the map(i probably have at least 6-7 "imporved" revisons), but this was the last one I was able to compile with playable fps, despite all my efforts at optimization.

I will do my best to release a newer version with the updates and playbable fps, but compiling is quite cagey at this stage, and i'm not promising anything. This will probably be my last cs:s map now that cs:go is coming out.
Captain Terror
Regular
Regular

Re: [CSS] de_747 beta

Postby Dives on Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:50 am

Is that 747 made entirely of brushes? Holy hell, great job. That couldn't have been easy.
Dives
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby Captain Terror on Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:09 am

Ha thanks! =)

Everything is brushes except the engines, and landing gears. I tried making the seats prop statics(there are almost 300 of them) but i took a big fps hit even with maxfadedistance turned way down.

Next i'm gonna try to propper_lod them and see if that is better in terms of performance. Also gonna start messing with fog to boost the fps even more. (Best i can do so far for fps is +70 everywhere in the map, and screens where you see it lower on the netgraph, are older screen captures)
Captain Terror
Regular
Regular

Postby DonPunch on Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:54 am

Looks cool, I would invest in better textures though. Grunge doesnt seem fitting in an airport
DonPunch
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby Knights on Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:01 am

I swear I've seen a map like this before, not sure if it was CSS a long time ago or just the ending in Call Of Duty. Great work on a brushed up plane! :smt023 The interior could use more love it's a bit boxy in there. Would be cool to fight while in flight... :jingle:
Random gallery... Knights_Stuff.
Home page --> http://www.knights.interlopers.net/
Knights
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby Phott on Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:24 pm

It's a remake of a CS map.

That's some serious brush work on the plane, looks awesome.
Phott
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Chrille on Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:12 pm

The textures on the plane should have some shader work done on them. Wet metal would look sexy.
Chrille
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby MayheM on Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:41 pm

I have always taken pride in my brushwork and thought it was pretty damn good, but holy hell man! Making that entire plane in brushes had to have been a freaking nightmare!
MayheM
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Captain Terror on Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:01 pm

Ha thanks all for the kind comments!! =PP

Knights: that is an excellent idea i agree. i think that's what was done here in this 1.6 map.

DonPunch/crille: i agree 10000% =P i will make that a priority as i am doing updates now. do you know off hand any stock HL/css textures that will do that? (i have absolutely no expereince in source texture creatiion yet)
Captain Terror
Regular
Regular

Postby pk_hunter on Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:28 pm

This is looking really, really promising! Fantastic brushwork.

Lighting has room for improvement, but where it really falls short is the texturing. It's pretty bad and I think you need to put a bit more thought into your material choices & alignment.

I'll give an example of bad choice and an example of bad alignment.
Bad choice - What's with the combine metal above the windows? What's with the windows themselves? Both look really out of place and the windows are nastily stretched. The alignment on the walkway below is also off. If you have a texture which so obviously tiles you really need to align the edges with the edges of your brushwork. This can be time consuming, but it's a worthwhile process.

Bad alignment - Buttons and dials and screens are being cut off at the edges of the consoles. Also the window looks really, really weird.

This project is absolutely worth you learning to make good materials because it totally has the potential to be an excellent map.

Best of luck, and if you ever need any help you know you can ask :)
pk_hunter
Pheropod
Pheropod

Postby Captain Terror on Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:59 am

I agree 100% Arch, and i'll be the first to admit i'm fucked when it comes to texturing! I avoided custom texturing in golsource as well and my maps suffered for it, and i have no logical eplanation why i don't spend time learing to texture. ='(

I actually have window textuers made for the lower and upper decks, i just have to finish reading the alpha channel textures tutorial(here) and open up pshop. if you know of any other good tutorial on making window and shiny metal ones for the planes skin, please let me know! (i've already downloaded a crapload to my "texture tutorials" folder, now i just have to make myself open it up)

As always i appreciate your help and comments Archie, Thank you! This next vesion coming up will be retxtured and pretttied up, and have better fps performance. (hopefully!)
=P
Captain Terror
Regular
Regular

Postby Hellraz0r on Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:25 am

Mate I've been wanting to take on this project for years, I just didn't have the know-how or time to do it, and you've damn well pulled it off!

This is looking very very promising mate, one thing I suggest though which gives it a more 747 feel (1.6 version) is if you could make the runway a tad darker, maybe tone down the ambient lighting and add a few random coloured runway lights around the plane or something to add some flavour to the map, refer to the original cs_747 if you don't know what I mean. I always liked sneaking into the plane from the bottom, and hiding in the darkness.

Man you alone have made me open up hammer again this is fantastic, I will definitely be playing your map, good work.
Hellraz0r
Pheropod
Pheropod

Return to Showcase