surf_banocanyon port to CS:GO

Show off your finished maps, models and other creations. Screen shots are a must!

surf_banocanyon port to CS:GO

Postby Acko on Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:35 pm

I worked on this port for a lot of hours, and I think its ready.
You can reshape it, change they way you want.
I tried to change a bit the structure of the map, because there was some areas that nobody goes and when they go it breaks the pacing of the round. I accept feedback and I am willing to iterate more on it.

http://gamebanana.com/csgo/maps/167956

Acko
Dumpling
Dumpling

Re: surf_banocanyon port to CS:GO

Postby Ale on Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:25 pm

Nope.
Ale
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby Acko on Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:27 am

Ale wrote:Nope.

?
Acko
Dumpling
Dumpling

Postby Text_Fish on Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:33 am

There's a certain amount of snobbery when it comes to maps like this, especially on this website. Interlopers' usually strive for aesthetic quality as much as (sometimes unfortunately more than) fun game play. I can only imagine this is why Ale said "Nope" and nothing more. Sort of an in-joke thing I guess. You might receive a more helpful response on facepunch, where I imagine more users play surf and are therefore better qualified to comment.
Mappers Top Tip #548
Lighting: The arrangement, hue and intensity of one or multiple light sources.
Lightning: A dazzling discharge of electric sparks in the atmosphere, often preceding thunder.
Text_Fish
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby MayheM on Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:05 pm

Have to agree with Text_Fish. If there is one thing about the interlopers community is they take mapping seriously. I try to give constructive feedback to help people make better maps when I can, as do most of the people on here. However while the map above may be a lot of fun to play for your friends and yourself, it likely will not get much feedback.

If I may add a few tips...
1. Don't use brush based type to display your name. This has long been considered bad and is a waste of brushwork. Make a texture that will do the exact same thing.

2. If you really want to port a map, make is better than the original. If people really like to play the original, why would they want to play yours if it is the exact same. I know you said you changed the layout, which is a good thing, but upgrading the look and taking advantage of updated engine is the real reason a mapper wants to port a map into a new game. Or at least should be... So for instance the large rectangular shapes int he last pic. Making those displacements and more interesting to look at would have a limited effect on gameplay, but make the map far more interesting looking,.

3.Texture scaling and tiling. At first glance you can instantly see the predicative nature of the rock texture you used. Scale the texture up a bit, so it does not repeat as often. Judging by the size of those brushes, you will have to scale them a lot to have it work, so it may even be better to use a larger texture so it does not need to be scaled as much.

I am not trying to be a jerk and rip you down. The fact is we all started somewhere and when we started things didn't look pretty and clean. What helped me get better was people telling things to me straight and teaching me how to make my maps better.
MayheM
Veteran
Veteran

Postby svbg869 on Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:19 pm

hey mate, there is also http://forums.solidsurf.info/index.php
entirely dedicated to surf mapping, look forward to seeing you around :D
my newest released map: surf_elites_v2
svbg869

Postby Acko on Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:57 am

thanks to everyone who replied, really interesting tips. I'll be doing that for sure
Acko
Dumpling
Dumpling

Return to Showcase