Speed Challenge 7: Vote & Final Images

Test your creative modelling skills.

Moderator: RawMeat3000

Who's your preferred candidate for the democratic nomination?

Alminie
5%
theANGRYbeaver
31%
DeathMonkey
40%
Nauz
2%
RawMeat3000
No votes
SFisher7k
21%

Total votes : 42

Re: Speed Challenge 7: Vote & Final Images

Postby Angry Beaver on Tue May 06, 2008 1:36 am

I've learnt to render:

http://members.shaw.ca/dvdgillen/img/ValleyForge_Render.jpg

if were getting it reposted for any reason could you switch out the pictures?
Angry Beaver
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Postby RawMeat3000 on Tue May 06, 2008 3:57 am

Good point, Alminie. I didn't see the results of the poll until after I typed up my reponse and voted, so I had no idea he was in first place (although I should have guessed). This isn't really fair considering he didn't even mean for it to be entered.

@Beaver: I may just have to vote for you if that picture gets approval from the higher-ups.
RawMeat3000
Modelling Challenges Moderator

Postby Jest@ on Tue May 06, 2008 8:40 pm

Well, if you like, I can try and enable the change-your-vote option on the poll, but I've never done it before and it may reset the whole thing.

The reason the time limit is there is so you can challenge yourself. The vote isn't important, the modelling is. You still become a better modeller if you try hard to meet the time limit. If you don't wanna strictly obey, you don't have to - I mean, it's not like I can actually police how long any of you really took. I'd rather permit some people being over the time limit than have people lie. The vote really isn't what matters.

I agree, we shouldn't be too lenient - but I was kinda hoping people would, y'know, look at the numbers before they voted, and vote on how good the models were for the amount of time taken. But seeing as how that hasn't happened, maybe I should just reset the vote without Deathmonkey et al?

Next challenge, when we're a bit more on top of things and the challenge ends promptly, we'll be tighter. There's always gonna be some leeway -- it's silly being a nazi about the rules with only 5 or 6 entrants -- but we'll be a lot less forgiving to pieces that are seriously over the limits, or are posted late. Consider this challenge an...intermission ;)

@ beaver - I'll happily add that picture in, but the same note as above applies - we'll be a lot less forgiving next challenge around. But it's good that you learnt to set up a clay render -- you've got some way to go yet to perfect it, and it's showing up a few smoothing problems, but GJ! :smt023

anyway, i see a lot of bitching and whining about the procedure of the competition and very little discussion of the actual models. The idea of the challenges is to get people to test themselves, critique each other and learn. Would be cool to see some more feedback.
Highlight to read:
It was earth all along
Jest@
Veteran
Veteran

Postby 1447 on Tue May 06, 2008 8:54 pm

I don't care if he used 5 hours, that aircraft is freakin' beautiful. Amazingly detailed.
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Angry Beaver on Tue May 06, 2008 8:56 pm

the smoothing problems mostly come from it being transfered between modeling studios. Apparently geometry approximation is not carried over to smoothing groups when you go form XSI -> Max
Angry Beaver
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Previous

Return to Modelling Challenges