Speed Challenge #9 - Guns n Ammo!

Test your creative modelling skills.

Moderator: RawMeat3000

Re: Speed Challenge #9 - Guns n Ammo!

Postby Deathmonkey on Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:49 pm

stoopdapoop: Can you do us...me a favor? Please!!! How do you do those parts? I do not know if you use 3DsMax (I know you use XSI) but how would you do it in 3DsMax. I would really appreciate if you could show us (me) how you do it. THANKS!!!

Portfolio: viewtopic.php?t=17498
"These things happened. They were glorious and they changed the world...and then we fucked up the end game." (Charlie Wilson)
Deathmonkey
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Postby mat_de_b on Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:17 pm

Extrude and outline? i think, or just vertex manipulate them
mat_de_b
Pheropod
Pheropod

Postby Deathmonkey on Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:23 pm

I think you could just vertex manipulate them but they look way to clean. I mean you can do it but it takes a lot of time so somehow I know he has his personal technique and it would be cool if he would share. Even if it is vertex manipulation...there has to be something more. :)
Portfolio: viewtopic.php?t=17498
"These things happened. They were glorious and they changed the world...and then we fucked up the end game." (Charlie Wilson)
Deathmonkey
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Postby Sfisher7k on Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:11 pm

A little late, beyond last minute actually, but I got a better render. YafRay has much better shading than Blender's internal renderer. Also I made some very minor modifications, so it's probably about 1 hour modeling time now. 1309 vertices now.

AO is a tad grainy because I set the samples a little lower than usual. Had to render quickly.
Sfisher7k
Regular
Regular

Postby Jest@ on Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:42 pm

Okay, bang on time (shhh) I'm closing this up. Some great entries, really solid stuff. I'm honestly quite amazed at your ability to churn that much polywork out in that short a time, I lay down my basic shapes then spend at least 3 hrs strategically planning before any real meshwork begins :D

GJ guys! Tune in next Saturday for Speed Challenge #10! in the meantime, lemme know what you wanna get stuck into over in the suggestions thread. Keep 'em coming!

The vote will go up later tonight if I have the time, tommorrow otherwise. As an afterthought, do people want me to keep this thread open for discussion for a bit, but accept no more entries? If you'd like to discuss each others work, etc? PM me if you think that's a good idea.

Sterling work kids, now get your asses back into Hammer for Map Battle 25! Or, if you're just a meshworker, I'm sure the Map battle entrants would appreciate some custom content...a bonus points system could be created for mapper/modeller 'teams', and, well, it's good varied portfolio work...hint hint!
Highlight to read:
It was earth all along
Jest@
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Jest@ on Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:28 pm

Okey dokey, people requested I lave the thread open, so chat amongst yourselves! No more entries though, of course :)

The vote'll go up in the next few hrs, but I just got off work and I'm hungry :)
Highlight to read:
It was earth all along
Jest@
Veteran
Veteran

Postby stoopdapoop on Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:54 pm

Well it was actually a very time consuming process because I didn't know how to tackle it either, so I would just move polygons slowly and in small increments intil I got something acceptable, then drew new edges to make the nice curve.

arg, it's kinda hard to explain, I must not even know that I did, but in the video you can see I work on it on at least 3 separate occasions.
I'm Brown
stoopdapoop
Veteran
Veteran

Postby RawMeat3000 on Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:27 am

Whoa...

Did you guys know that there was a Speed Challenge #8? I had no idea.
RawMeat3000
Modelling Challenges Moderator

Postby Surfa on Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:13 pm

RawMeat3000 wrote:Whoa...

Did you guys know that there was a Speed Challenge #8? I had no idea.

yeah i was gonna win but I didn't finish in time to enter my objects.
Surfa
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby Nauz on Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:29 pm

i started a street light for it but it looked awful so i gave up ;)
Nauz
Regular
Regular

Postby Angry Beaver on Sat Jun 28, 2008 2:18 am

I have this entires traffic light and streetght sign and light rig that was awesome but i ended up nearlly stabbing XSI and 3DSM because of the inability to transition the files between programs for rendering reasons.
"To repeat what others have said and done, requires education; to challenge it, requires brains; to improve it requires skill and luck."
Angry Beaver
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Previous

Return to Modelling Challenges