A quick QC question

Got problems with your models? Struggling with textures? Get help with your custom assets.

A quick QC question

Postby tron00 on Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:20 pm

I'm recompiling a couple of models to add extra skins. Some were just dynamic props, even though they had a physics smd. I've got them working as physics models but wanted some tips on adding realism.

I have a skateboard model that moves but doesn't seem realistic enough. I'd like it to glide a bit more. Likewise, I have a few balls that I'd like to bounce. I'm guessing the relevant entries are in here?:

$mass 10
$inertia 1.00
$damping 0.00
$rotdamping 0.00

Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks!
tron00
Regular
Regular

Re: A quick QC question

Postby Lhorkan on Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:37 pm

Here are all the possible $collisionmodel entries: http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/$collisionmodel

If you don't understand what a certain value does (I know I didn't), just Google an explanation. The rest is simply playing with values until you get it just right.
Lhorkan

Postby Kosire on Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:22 pm

In garrys mod, there's a ball that bounces pretty neat. You could decompile that and use the same settings for your ball..
Kosire
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r

Postby Smurftyours on Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:42 pm

That uses LUA coding and other properties. The actual model is just a helicopter bomb from hl2.
jangalomph wrote:Wise words from a wise man. ^
Smurftyours

Postby tron00 on Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:35 pm

Okay, thanks everyone.. For the skateboard, I made the mass very light and the inertia very high and that seemed to work pretty well. I don't fully understand damping, yet. It seems to do with friction? I'll keep at it.
tron00
Regular
Regular

Return to Custom Asset Help