Custom particle problem with collision via trace

Got problems with your models? Struggling with textures? Get help with your custom assets.

Custom particle problem with collision via trace

Postby ryuumon on Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:51 am

Hello.

I have a particle system modified from tf2's flamethrower effect.

I've set the collision via traces to DEBRIS, which according to the wiki (http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki ... onstraints), it collides with nothing but world and static stuff. This is exactly what I need, because I will have some props to block the player from the fire.

However, as seen in the picture, the particle collides with "invisible entities" on my level. I did not place any entities or brushes at those areas, and I cannot pinpoint what is causing it exactly.

Have anyone encounter similar problem or have experience to share about working with collision via traces?

Is there any way I can enable a debug mode for me to identify what is causing the collision?

Thank you in advance!
ryuumon
Dumpling
Dumpling

Re: Custom particle problem with collision via trace

Postby Jangalomph on Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:54 pm

Instead of using the DEBRIS, try INTERACTIVE.

And sometimes particles get stuck on invisible things.. its just how it works.., try moving the actual info_particle system a unit or 2 over from the pipe/wall thing.
http://www.nomoreroominhell.com
I don’t know whether I was right or wrong, I guess I’ll never know… But I made it. And I guess I should be thankful for that. - Strelok
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
Jangalomph
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby ryuumon on Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:43 am

Thank you so much. I think moving the info_particle_system works as a quick fix. Now it is to keep trial and error and find out where to paste it.

However, I do not quite understand the difference between DEBRIS and INTERACTIVE, what exactly is an interactive debris?
ryuumon
Dumpling
Dumpling

Postby Jangalomph on Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:03 pm

I'd say interactive has more physics capabilities. I may be wrong.
http://www.nomoreroominhell.com
I don’t know whether I was right or wrong, I guess I’ll never know… But I made it. And I guess I should be thankful for that. - Strelok
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
Jangalomph
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Jordash on Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:51 am

I know this is a massive bump, but if this can hopefully help anyone else who has this problem.

It seems like it comes from the the particle settings. In the Collision via trace section the 'collision mode' is set to '1', this works fine in TF2, but in HL2 it will collide with what seems to be vis leaf boundaries. Change the collision mode to '0' and it should only collide with actual objects.
Jordash
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Return to Custom Asset Help