3dsmax to source - Transparent texture issue

Got problems with your models? Struggling with textures? Get help with your custom assets.

3dsmax to source - Transparent texture issue

Postby Dejavo on Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:45 am

Hi.

I'm using Wall Worms tool for exporting model + textures from 3dsmax and struggling to get transperancy to work. The transparent part of the texture just turns out white.

I've read the documentation and I'm using .tga bitmap as diffuse and placed the transperancy in the alpha channel.

Thought I'd ask here since you guys might have stumbled in to something similar.

Thanks.
Dejavo

Re: 3dsmax to source - Transparent texture issue

Postby TheDanishMaster on Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:51 pm

Try using $alphatest 1 instead of $translucent 1, that sometimes work. And also, you might have shaders on the texture that do not work on translucent textures so try only having $alphatest and nothing else.. Well of course have basetexture in there too
Specs:
MSI P67A-GD55, Intel Core i7 Sandy Bridge 2600k @ 3,4GHz, Corsair 8GB DDR3 1333MHz, 1TB HDD, NVidia GTX580 1,5GB GDDR5, Blu-Ray drive
TheDanishMaster
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby Gary on Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:14 pm

Also note, alphatest is bool transparency. It's either the part of the texture visible or not. No where in between.

Another problem with $translucent, is that breaks flashlight shadows in Source2007 and earlier.
Have a question related to modding or something I posted? Something that needs staff attention? I haven't been active lately, but feel free to PM me or message me on Steam(link below)

Gary
Interlopers Staff
Interlopers Staff

Postby Dejavo on Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:12 pm

Thanks guys. I didnt need to change to alphatest. It was simply a matter of the tool not adding any transperancy at all to the .vmf. Your suggestion made me think of opening the .vmf though which turned out to be a good idea ^^.

One further question if I may. I tried googling this one to no avail, but I think it's just me missing the obvious in my super-noobiness in 3d modeling.

I made a tree. And it consists of a lot of what I think is called "elements" or different models. Branches and such. Wormtool only lets me select one element at a time. I know that I can use "attach" in 3dsmax to tie the elements to one model but with a huge mess of branches it's not a very compelling way of doing things. What am I missing here?

edit: I used attach... works decently if you save a copy of the project with the elements separated so that you can go back and edit them if you want. Would be cool to hear about your work flow though.

And also the "$transalucent "1" produced some weird glitches so I tried alpha which worked better.
Dejavo

Return to Custom Asset Help