Model Viewer Lockup

Modelling, Textures, Animating and other general engine asset topics.

Model Viewer Lockup

Postby Epifire on Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:01 am

I am kinda asking some thing I had ran into before, but I am making a wooden physics barrel for HL 2. After re-installing all my modeling applications needed to have another go at it, as well as bearing through remembering Cannonfodder's Studio MDl compiler. I am really close this time.

Problem with this is as the title says, the model viewer in Hammer locks up when I try and place my model. Hammer doesn't crash it just locks up the viewer and I have to restart Hammer if I want to go back and place models. So I have been shooting around in the dark to get this thing compiled, and I may have missed some things since there is no "foolproof" way of learning the compile method.

Notes left over from last time... I made a collision model this time and it's all there (no more errors with the inverted physics).

All the QC refs are made by the studio compiler GUI, and I have just put in some bits of info about some of the information. So I am just wondering what the common cause of this problem would be, as it is the only thing I have ran into consistently.
Epifire

Re: Model Viewer Lockup

Postby Stormy on Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:44 am

I've had a similar problem but all you do is close the model viewer window, wait a bit and then go in again. I can't remember how to close the model viewer window but I can remember it was tricky. Somthing like clicking in the hammer viewport and clicking something else. When you reopen the model viewer it should be ok.
Stormy
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby Epifire on Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:35 am

I know of some odd computer issues, but it's a little vague to say the least. Mainly what I wanna know is what is causing this and how to work around it. I really want to be able to make a lot of detail props to act as counterparts to Hammer brushes, but from my knowledge this is the only thing in my way so far.

It all seems to be a fairly straightforward concept beyond this issue I am facing now.
Epifire

Postby Gambini on Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:47 am

Hammer model viewer lockups lots of times when I´m working. I just close it by the little X at the top right and open it again after some time (like Blackstormy says). In my case it is not that difficult, what gets freezed is everything except the X (you can´t click cancel nor Ok i.e). So, while a hassle is not a real complication. For your info, this happens in my end no matter if i´m using my custom content or not. So, i would not blame your model right away without being sure first that this isn´t being caused by other problems.

A good way to check if the model carries any problem would be opening it in the model viewer first (the one in the sourcesdk menu, not hammer) and paying attention to the mdlcompiler log.
Gambini
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Postby Epifire on Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:04 am

I understand what you are talking about, because I have lockups all the time. This one however is major and it only locks up when I try to select my model.

Regular lock ups for me tend to happen if I changed the model type by it's node in Hammer and then re-entered the viewer to find a lock up. This was always fixed if I just exited the viewer and messed with some brush entities.

But in my case the whole thing freezes when I select the custom model (no other Valve assets do that btw) and when I try and re-open it, all that comes up is a white screen. So I should probably be asking what are the problems that cause this, or what are those little nasty things I should avoid to prevent this?
Epifire

Return to Art Creation