Rule, Britannia

Discuss modifications and also recruit team members.

Rule, Britannia

Postby Bema on Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:46 pm

EDIT: For greater clarification, please read my second post aswell before posting. Thanks.

Right - im doing some research for a personal project. It's not school or anything so don't tell me to do my own work! I've put it in the 'Serious Discussion' because...well...it's to do with history and research!

Basically im looking for names, places, quotes, dates, battles, ships, poets, writers, legends, stories, people, etc that stand out in British history. I'm mainly wanting to look at the period of the British Empire, but before that is fine. Opinions would also be good. What made Britain great back then?

Before we get anybody popping into say Britain was evil back then - please don't bother to post. I want the replies and answers to be biased & one sided. Yes the British Empire's economic success was largely founded on slavery, but for the purposes of my research that side of the argument doesn't matter. I will research the other side to every story (i promise!), but for now I don't want it posted in here. Hopefully people can respect that request.

It may sound odd - but this isn't normal academic research so the other side isn't neccessary right now. It's for a personal project. And no it's not for any BNP style organistation!

Hopefully that makes some sense. I realise i've been a bit scant on the details, but when I tried explaining everything in one post it just seemed to go on a bit...!
Last edited by Bema on Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bema
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Re: Rule, Britannia

Postby Athlete{UK} on Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:39 pm

This isn't really a discussion at all. It's just a ball waving contest (Although everyone know there is only one nation prefixed with Great.) Moving to general discussion because it doesn't really belong here.
Athlete{UK}
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Bema on Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:32 pm

Fair enough Athlete - although it's not really a ball waving contest. Hopefully after I explain below, you'll see why I had problems thinking of the right section to post in.

To clear the reasoning behind this thread up - the research im asking to be helped with will be helping to pad out the story to the mod (called "Rule, Britannia" btw) im looking to create. Some may remember I posted about what workload i'd be facing if I created a mod by my lonesome? Well this is my project.

Set post-combine defeat, the mod follows the explosive re-emergence of the British Empire. Now it's not going to be all flags and songs, the world the player is in & helps create (by way of the story) will actually be quite dark. However to get the story right - a lot of the characters you interact with won't see it that way. In fact most of the wrongs you'll be doing will be disguised until the latter stages of the game. I want to build the story up until it suddenly hits the player: "Am I the bad guy in this?"

The request for research, as I said, is to help flesh out the story. So characters/places/names will come directly from British history. Dates, locations, quotes - everything in the story will be designed to link somewhere back to British history. The point is - you're surrounded by all these reminders and legends of a great Britain (whether they be obvious or not) whilst you, as the player, are actually creating precisly the opposite. That is why I only want the 'good' stuff. You as the player will be creating and living the 'bad' side of the empire whilst constantly being told it's great.

Now despite watching hours of documentaries, and trawling books + the internet my own research will never be enough. Hence my asking for support. I originally didn't want to mention it'd be used in a mod, because that'll influence peoples posting. I want to keep the responses educated & formal - hence the 'Serious discussion' section.

As I said, your decision where it lies. It'll probably get more views/responses now it's in the General I guess. Apologies for the epic long post on such a small issue.
Bema
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Postby Penney on Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:04 pm

Back in the day you had to be a badass or you'd get your ass handed back to you after years of rape and dieses, just ask the natives of north america all about the colonial days :)
Penney

Postby Athlete{UK} on Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:02 am

Yeah I like the idea and i'm moving this for a second time. To mod talk. Good luck.
Athlete{UK}
Veteran
Veteran

Postby theblahman on Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:25 pm

Sounds awesome.
I design (v4.1 released 23/2) and Tweet.
theblahman
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby Bema on Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:37 pm

Righto - as this thread is a bit more haphazard with it's details than I first intended, i'll make a new one soon.

A proper introduction to the mod, and the concepts behind it will arrive in that new thread. :-)

EDIT: Plus thanks to those who've made positive comments about it, particularly those via the Steam Community thingymahoo. Nice to see some support out there.
Bema
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Return to Mod Talk