Get ready to play Decadence!

Comment on the news articles here.

Get ready to play Decadence!

Postby Majestic XII on Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:54 pm

The Decadence team has put together a short introduction video to get the community ready for the upcoming release of Decadence on the 28th of March. Learn the basic of the gameplay so you're all set to play! We'll be waiting for you!

The video below shows off everything you need to know in order to start playing Decadence. Get to know the rules of the game now, so you don't have to when bullets rush past your head in the heat of the battle.

Vimeo (HD)
YouTube (HD)
ModDB
ModDB Download

Join in on the fun and read more about the mod over at http://www.decadencemod.com
Majestic XII

Re: Get ready to play Decadence!

Postby KILLA-COW on Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:34 pm

Am I the only person who looks at this and thinks "so what?" It's nice but I remember when I first saw their screens with the glowing tree's I thought oooo this is going to be something different and a bit special and now it just looks like your run of the mill bog standard first person shooter, admittedly better than most of the mods out there, but still just a bit dissapointing. I guess I should play it first, but at the moment this is the impression I'm getting.
KILLA-COW
Veteran
Veteran

Postby lillerik on Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:43 pm

I've played it a few times and I must say it's a good mod. It's maybe not the best mod out there, but since there are only four players in each game it should still be easy to find partners. The most annoying thing is that you can't jump, but I think you'll get used to that after a while.
lillerik
Dumpling
Dumpling

Postby Majestic XII on Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:53 pm

lillerik wrote:I've played it a few times and I must say it's a good mod. It's maybe not the best mod out there, but since there are only four players in each game it should still be easy to find partners. The most annoying thing is that you can't jump, but I think you'll get used to that after a while.

You can jump, we added that feature (or well, threw it back in rather...) waay back :)
Majestic XII

Postby Mess on Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:09 pm

so CP mode, with scouts and heavies? That wouldn't be fun in tf2, let's hope it's fun in decadence.
Mess
Interlopers Staff
Interlopers Staff

Postby Generalvivi on Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:13 am

Congrats on release! an inspiration to all mods!
Generalvivi
Irrational Games

Postby stoopdapoop on Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:01 am

In engine footage, working weapons, good models in textures.

That's honestly reason enough for me to try out a mod. I really like the idea of the mod, I'll put this on my calendar and play it on release day.
I'm Brown
stoopdapoop
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Phott on Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:58 am

I think this could be even more fun with more players in one game, unless the maps are really small.
Phott
Veteran
Veteran

Postby srredfire on Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:42 am

Honestly, it does look complete and pretty well crafted. Looks like a solid mod in all honesty, I just have a few concerns for you guys.

1. The whole cap point thing -

The idea is classic, looks like it'll work fine, but unless I missed something, it seems like, if it gets to one side, then that loses, the goes to the middle, other side, loses, etc, there is a possibility it could go back and forth for a very long time, and that can either get boring, or just time consuming. I wouldn't want to join, and be struggling back and forth for 45 minutes and have to go, and all my effort results to nothing. I don't know how you could solve this, as a time limit might be unfair and/or annoying but yeah.

2. Limited amount of people? -

I'm not sure on this, but from what people have said it sounds like there is what, a max of 4 or 8 people? Come on! Don't go limiting us, this could be a crazy hectic game with 24-32 people! People frantically shooting people with darts and blasting holes in people, struggling to get that water meter up. Again, not sure if this is the case, so if you actually CAN have that many people, then this is null.

3. Flat out popularity. -

There are a big handful of mods out there, including multiplayer mods. Why will this one become popular? Have you thought about that? I think, in my opinion, you should have a talk with the STEAM devs and company to get a deal to have your mod hosted on STEAM. If you take a look, most all the multiplayer mods that you can download directly from the Steam store have been, and have stayed popular, IE: Zombie Panic! Source. I think this would help A LOT. You don't want to see 30 people playing on launch day and have it just go downhill from there to zero. So I really recommend talking to someone.

But yeah, beyond that, it looks pretty solid and interesting. Not sure if it's my slice of pie, but I will definitely give it a shot when it's out.

Best of luck guys, and congrats on a release!
srredfire
Veteran
Veteran

Postby MisterBister on Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:17 am

srredfire wrote:Honestly, it does look complete and pretty well crafted. Looks like a solid mod in all honesty, I just have a few concerns for you guys.

1. The whole cap point thing -

The idea is classic, looks like it'll work fine, but unless I missed something, it seems like, if it gets to one side, then that loses, the goes to the middle, other side, loses, etc, there is a possibility it could go back and forth for a very long time, and that can either get boring, or just time consuming. I wouldn't want to join, and be struggling back and forth for 45 minutes and have to go, and all my effort results to nothing. I don't know how you could solve this, as a time limit might be unfair and/or annoying but yeah.

But yeah, beyond that, it looks pretty solid and interesting. Not sure if it's my slice of pie, but I will definitely give it a shot when it's out.

There is a feature to prevent this from happening that is not mentioned in the trailer, since it only goes through the basics. Of you and your team mate attacks the enemy base, capture say 40% and then pushed back to the middle arena again you will have that 40% stored until next time you attack the enemy base.
There is no time limit, so the match CAN go on forever, but because of this feature the, absolutely longest, recorded match was about 40 minutes. Both teams played extremely well and it was really tight, but in the end one team won.
- Filip "MisterBister" Coulianos
- Artist & Level-Designer of the MOD Decadence.
www.decadencemod.com
MisterBister
Regular
Regular

Postby Pink Panther on Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:03 am

I swear, if I ever hear the word "node" again I'm going to kill something. It must be used three dozen times in that two minute trailer. Next time, please vary the vocab for the voice actor, "point", "sector" ,"zone," "area" are all perfectly fine alternatives.
"Here we go again..."
Pink Panther
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby Phott on Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:27 am

The_Maker wrote:I swear, if I ever hear the word "node" again I'm going to kill something. It must be used three dozen times in that two minute trailer. Next time, please vary the vocab for the voice actor, "point", "sector" ,"zone," "area" are all perfectly fine alternatives.

If you use different words for the same thing in an instructional video, it's just gonna get confusing.
Phott
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Crenfear on Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:06 am

Looks like it could be a fair bit of fun... I'll definately try and play it on release, or soon after...
3:39 PM - vulcus: if i were him
3:40 PM - vulcus: I would have embraced them with my boner
-------
RockstarHilbily: Play that while you bone your "girlfriend"
The Jukebox: :l
The Jukebox: Play that, while you bone your palm.
Crenfear
Regular
Regular

Postby Majestic XII on Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:27 am

srredfire wrote:2. Limited amount of people? -

I'm not sure on this, but from what people have said it sounds like there is what, a max of 4 or 8 people? Come on! Don't go limiting us, this could be a crazy hectic game with 24-32 people! People frantically shooting people with darts and blasting holes in people, struggling to get that water meter up. Again, not sure if this is the case, so if you actually CAN have that many people, then this is null.

3. Flat out popularity. -

There are a big handful of mods out there, including multiplayer mods. Why will this one become popular? Have you thought about that? I think, in my opinion, you should have a talk with the STEAM devs and company to get a deal to have your mod hosted on STEAM. If you take a look, most all the multiplayer mods that you can download directly from the Steam store have been, and have stayed popular, IE: Zombie Panic! Source. I think this would help A LOT. You don't want to see 30 people playing on launch day and have it just go downhill from there to zero. So I really recommend talking to someone.

2) This is something we could experiment with, but we feel that it wouldn't really add anything interesting to the gameplay. The fact that there are only two players in each team brings another set of challenges to the table. You need to think through what you and your team mate is doing at all time if you want to win the round, it's very hard to do so by yourself, even if that's totally possible. Nothing is more satisfying than rushing in and fight with all your might against two opponent after they down'd your team mate and to be able to walk away from it alive. The maps are rather small so you're always in battle in some way or another, so it doesn't seem lonely. To sum it up: You value everything a bit more :)

3) One of the criterias, as far as I know, to be features on Steam is that you have to a release out. We don't, so we haven't been able to get on it yet. It's something we have been thinking about though, among other things. We haven't really been talking about the last feature of the mod yet, probably since it's still in development :) We're working on a stat system to track your progress in the mod and to rank your skill against every one playing. There can only be one player (or a clan of players) at Rank 1, so you better fight well if you want to reach that spot. There's some funky math in the works to describe the rank system, but we hope it will be something that keeps player into the mod for a while.

Exciting times ahead, we'll see how it all works out in the end!
Majestic XII

Postby ghost12332 on Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:45 pm

Looks interesting.
Ryder: i see ghost as a evil scientest who wants to kill everyone for the good of humanity
ghost12332

Next

Return to Site News