Black Mesa: Opening Level Screenshots

Comment on the news articles here.

Re: Black Mesa: Opening Level Screenshots

Postby Saxon on Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:47 am

Blink wrote:I think you're all being overly critical. It's surprising.

I don't know of many mods that are a much higher bar in terms of attention to detail and aesthetics. Especially ones that are almost TCs like Black Mesa.

But apparently you guys do.

Well, IMHO Insurgency has much more detailed maps, and much better textures.
As stoopdapoop says, some of the BMS textures don't look too great - they lack polish, and occasionally aren't placed well together. I hate to say it, but some of the textures look no better than those seen in the HLS high res pack.

BMS does however have some of the best NPC models yet seen in Source, I'd say they look more or less on par with L4D models.
Saxon
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r

Postby Vilham on Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:57 am

Comon blink, insurgency, neotokyo, etc etc are all better graphically. I take my hate off them for remaking an entire game, but it does look incredibly dated now and they really do need to get on with it.
Designer - Frontier Developments
Vilham
Frontier Developments

Postby Chrille on Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:32 am

The Xen you see blanked out is from AM where you are teleported to Xen for a brief second.
Also, the build orcone had was not up to date.

We have Xen locked down so leaks like the following wont show its progress.
- JamesKane

It's mostly that alot of the things shown are far from being polished to the standards we normally would show in media, like the whiteboard details which are best left to be seen in game.
- stormseeker
Chrille
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby Text_Fish on Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:52 am

The sad thing is if they'd added some cheap L4D film grain or colour correction half the critics would be gushing praise.

Personally I think it looks very professional, and the only reason it possibly doesn't look as amazing as it used to is because they raised the bar so high so early on. Really, who didn't secretly wish they'd mapped that dam when the first few screenshots emerged?

If this were any other mod there wouldn't be a dry pair of pants in the house.
Mappers Top Tip #548
Lighting: The arrangement, hue and intensity of one or multiple light sources.
Lightning: A dazzling discharge of electric sparks in the atmosphere, often preceding thunder.
Text_Fish
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby Surfa on Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:17 am

I don't think that is necessary true. If this was still 2006 I think you would be correct and saying that it would demand a lot of praise but today most of the models and textures look dated. I mean the characters faces look great but the bodies are somewhat of a let down. Most of the environments look low poly and some of the textures look less then half arsed.

But the worse thing from my point of view is the fact that the quality levels dips dramatically from asset to asset.

But I guess it could just be that there is no reflections/phong on anything (in the screenshots) and seeing as these are both mighty important when selling certain materials, it could get a lot better when reflection/phong are used.

edit:
Well I decided to look on the official forums to see if what stage in development they says these screens are from and apparently it is from a build that was leaked to that site and everything is still very much w.i.p. This makes a lot more sense because a lot of the screen shots did look w.i.p quality.
Surfa
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby YokaI on Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:33 am

You guys... I think this looks pretty awesome...

Sure it doesn't look -as good- as l4d2, but really it looks like it should. Plus, there's still things like wrinkle features and stuff that isn't made for the public edition of the source SDK which, since this is a mod, they cannot use.

If I were BM:S, I'd try to negotiate for a cheap source sdk license purchase. I'm sure valve would love what these guys have done to the classic half life asthetic and, honestly, the mix of nostalgia and classic FPS gameplay may make players want to come back to this classic that is half life 1.

My one problem, nothing seems to have any phong or specular maps on them. Maybe it's just the few screenshots I've seen (anybody have the old screenshots pre-shutdown?) but something about the models / assets don't feel AS polished as they could be. Maybe I've just been spoiled with UDK. :lol:

edit: Took a look at the screenshots that were removed, I think that those screenshots had more than a reason to be taken down because of quality. However, I'm sure they took them down BECAUSE of that.
YokaI
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby RefaelBA on Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:19 pm

Well I tried my red / cyan glasses and it looks a bit off. I don't think they meant to make this image 3D. However you will probably be able to play Black Mesa in anaglyph mode, using IZ3D or something similar. After all if you can play HL2 with the driver:

You can probably play most mods with the same driver.
RefaelBA

Postby joe_rogers_11155 on Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:27 pm

I like this little sign inside the tram car.

IN CASE OF FIRE, USE HAMMER TO BREAK ENGINE

EDIT: OMFG Rafael, I will be getting that right away. also, when will we be able to play your mod? it looks pretty good so far, even if i dont have my 3d glasses. I notice that you seem to flicker through walls or something at a few points in the underground area, is that a defect in the software or something?
"Day breaks, but decay soon follows." - Ava Winona
Currently developing in radio silence... 99 Bolts
Here's another project of mine... Assault on Overwatch
Are you new to Source SDK? VDC
joe_rogers_11155
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Knights on Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:39 pm

ThePain wrote:Once you put something on the internet, that's it. You can't just take it back.

*cough-grin*
Very true statement.. :-D I saw these before deletion, it's looking great can't wait to play, but could use a major clutter pass though just to mix things up seeing it's the source engine.... If the style they are going for is closer to hl1 then that could be ok but It'll look like they just ported all the maps from hl1 to hl2 (I know they didn't so relax) :smt021 Some scenes though look really awesome but it's like those are the scenes they decked up for screenshots.... :o
Random gallery... Knights_Stuff.
Home page --> http://www.knights.interlopers.net/
Knights
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby RefaelBA on Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:43 pm

joe_rogers_11155 wrote:OMFG Rafael, I will be getting that right away. also, when will we be able to play your mod? it looks pretty good so far, even if i dont have my 3d glasses. I notice that you seem to flicker through walls or something at a few points in the underground area, is that a defect in the software or something?

I have no clue what you're talking about. I'm not working on any mods at the moment, I might start something soon though, not sure how it'll work with Uni starting in a month. The YT I linked is just some random video showing Source in anaglyph mode. The IZ3D driver is free for anaglyph use, and it works will all source games and mods.
RefaelBA

Postby joe_rogers_11155 on Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:14 pm

i thought i recently saw that map on interlopers map pimpage thread so i thought you were the one who posted/designed it.
"Day breaks, but decay soon follows." - Ava Winona
Currently developing in radio silence... 99 Bolts
Here's another project of mine... Assault on Overwatch
Are you new to Source SDK? VDC
joe_rogers_11155
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Plague on Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:27 pm

RefaelBA wrote:Well I tried my red / cyan glasses and it looks a bit off. I don't think they meant to make this image 3D. However you will probably be able to play Black Mesa in anaglyph mode, using IZ3D or something similar. After all if you can play HL2 with the driver:

You can probably play most mods with the same driver.

Its just a combination of effects in what almost looked like a 3D ready screenshot.
I doubt they spent time trying to give the game 3D.
Contact. The EU welcomes the pain free. That's emotional impact.
I actually think limitation is good for creativity. If we had an engine that could do everything, we would be in trouble. It gives us focus. ~~ Randy Lundeen
Plague
Veteran
Veteran

Postby ThePain on Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:31 pm

I have it from a reliable source that the build shown is about 5 1/2 months old. Basically anyone who's a friend of a developer has already played that section.
It's quite simple really. I want to be a professional level designer. I want this to be my job.
ThePain
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby BaRRaKID on Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:42 pm

If after 6 years of development this is all they've to show, I'm seriously disappointed. I sense that BM will have the same fate as NW.
I've no sign
BaRRaKID
Veteran
Veteran

Postby SotaPoika on Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:00 pm

BaRRaKID wrote:If after 6 years of development this is all they've to show, I'm seriously disappointed. I sense that BM will have the same fate as NW.

NW?
* Portfolio: http://sp0n3.carbonmade.com/
* No More Room In Hell - Level Designer
* Zombie Panic! Source - Level Designer
SotaPoika
Pheropod
Pheropod

PreviousNext

Return to Site News