Portal 2 'Perpetual Testing Initiative' Releases 8th May

Comment on the news articles here.

Re: Portal 2 'Perpetual Testing Initiative' Releases 8th May

Postby LordDz on Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:51 pm

I like how everyone on facebook goes nuts.
This has been out since Portal was released..

Damn casualfags... *goes back into hiding*.
LordDz
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby Dr. Delta on Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:21 pm

Well, I think it's pretty cool and interesting. The new design tool proves things don't have to be so difficult, and it's a great way to be able to make maps. For us 'elitists', it's a great quick tool to prototype, and then to polish and finalize in hammer. I don't see the problem source-maps is describing, stop complaining and suck it up bro. I would say this is some nice innovation in Source-modding-land.

The video is also quite cool c:
Dr. Delta
Veteran
Veteran

Postby source-maps on Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:33 pm

yes Delta, I know you cant stand it if someone says something negative about Valve.. you don't have to keep reminding us
source-maps
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Dr. Delta on Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:37 pm

source-maps wrote:yes Delta, I know you cant stand it if someone says something negative about Valve.. you don't have to keep reminding us

I know you hate the SDK, but you don't have to tell us how much you hate it because
WE ALL KNOW ITS FLAWS.

So unless you like reading your own text here on interlopers.net, complaining about the SDK is useless. We all know, and agree that the SDK should be improved.

--
Besides, it's completely off-topic and you're really missing the point in my post.
Dr. Delta
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Major Banter on Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:43 pm

Yeah, kinda heard the 'Source SDK sucks' point a few too many times.

You're still here, aren't you?
ImageImageImage
Major Banter
Veteran
Veteran

Postby source-maps on Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:55 pm

hmm I can't remember that I was discussing how much I hate the SDK..
I was just saying that it is sort of getting ridiculous that we still have to deal with such a super old tool ridiculed with bugs and they make toy level design tool with which they can make profit.. you wouldn't hear me complaining if they gradually updated the SDK over the years or at least did some basic improving

is this not something we can discuss here? seems reasonable enough to me
the tools look oke but like I said above.. toy tools with profit in mind with no sign of improvement coming to the actually tools in the future = unhappy customer

and I don't see how complaining is more useless than praising something on these forums.. it's pretty much all meaningless so I'm not sure what you're getting at here? :roll:
source-maps
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Dr. Delta on Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:00 pm

source-maps wrote:hmm I can't remember that I was discussing how much I hate the SDK..
I was just saying that it is sort of getting ridiculous that we still have to deal with such a super old tool ridiculed with bugs and they make toy level design tool with which they can make profit.. you wouldn't hear me complaining if they gradually updated the SDK over the years or at least did some basic improving

is this not something we can discuss here? seems reasonable enough to me
the tools look oke but like I said above.. toy tools with profit in mind with no sign of improvement coming to the actually tools in the future = unhappy customer

and I don't see how complaining is more useless than praising something on these forums.. it's pretty much all meaningless so I'm not sure what you're getting at here? :roll:

I don't see the 'profit' part in it though. I think almost all of the lopers agree with that the SDK should be updated, but maybe it's better to get new, better tools to spend our time with; and this could be the first application/tool of the new 'era'. I'm really curious what the in-house tools are, because I think a lot of the stuff should be improved; the workflow is just ancient. It's tedious.

We pretty much always complain about the SDK, everyone here wants awesome tools. But telling others, who agree with you, we want new better things doesn't change anything. That's why I said it's useless.
Dr. Delta
Veteran
Veteran

Postby source-maps on Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:10 pm

you don't see how this profits them? portal 2 was pretty much dead already after everyone completed the test chambers on single player and coop except for a few hardcore players

creating an easy tool that anyone could use would mean more on going content and people that continue to play the game,
eventually making them interested in buying pink bunny ear hats that clash with the theme to say at least

I'm sorry, but I'm not going to be all nice and stuff and stfu about the SDK until they do something about it
source-maps
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Dr. Delta on Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:48 pm

source-maps wrote:you don't see how this profits them? portal 2 was pretty much dead already after everyone completed the test chambers on single player and coop except for a few hardcore players

creating an easy tool that anyone could use would mean more on going content and people that continue to play the game,
eventually making them interested in buying pink bunny ear hats that clash with the theme to say at least

I'm sorry, but I'm not going to be all nice and stuff and stfu about the SDK until they do something about it

I wouldn't know about them wanting people to buy pink bunny ear hats for Portal 2, but yea, I can understand they would enjoy people continuing to play and create content for the game. However, unlike most studios, they release free sdk tools and they don't force people to pay for the community made content. Other studios get really mad when you mod, and ban you and stuff; since it can inflict with their DLC way of making money. Valve is however kind enough to release new tools for their game to make it even easier, and more fun, to create content! :D
Dr. Delta
Veteran
Veteran

Postby source-maps on Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:47 pm

true, I'm not saying I won't enjoy the new user content and that it isn't a good thing

but don't trow it on the 'oh valve is so kind gobble gobble' thing, because in the end they just provide their service to get more sales.. it's not charity work for the red cross that they are doing
they are just smart enough to know what their customers want and try to get the maximum out of that :)

I still love the play tf2 for example, and I wouldn't have looked at it probably if it weren't for the updates
and even tho I'm not forced to pay for hats, they thought making money with hats was more important than staying in line with the art style of the game, I know this is totally off topic.. but I just wanted to point out that their motivations aren't all that noble if you ask me.
I accept this because of the fact that I still play the game like I mentioned, but I look differently at valve now for doing so

so you see Delta, I was just trying to say that it irks me that they think this has a higher priority because this will be more beneficial for them, and they get praised for it while doing it
source-maps
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Dr. Delta on Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:04 pm

source-maps wrote:blalblalblatext

so you see Delta, I was just trying to say that it irks me that they think this has a higher priority because this will be more beneficial for them, and they get praised for it while doing it

No. That's not how Valve works. They do things because they think it will be cool, not because it will be beneficial for them.
Dr. Delta
Veteran
Veteran

Postby source-maps on Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:13 pm

uhuh, that is just disrespectful to the fine artists at Valve, if you think they thought pink alien-swarm parasite hats looked cool and didn't clash with the theme or the color scheme
source-maps
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby cheesemoo0 on Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:18 pm

I don't see how this is anything, but a good thing. This will introduce more people into the modding community and everyone has a nice shiny new level editing tool.

I am honestly surprised they are putting so much effort into a new tool for the mod community. Maybe this is a sign of revitalized support from Valve for modders.
cheesemoo0
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby source-maps on Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:34 pm

Oh please don't get me wrong, this is exactly what portal 2 needed
it's absolutely the best way to keep this game very active :)

oh well, I'll just shut up now and hope that something better comes along soon -__-
source-maps
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Dr. Delta on Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:37 pm

source-maps wrote:Oh please don't get me wrong, this is exactly what portal 2 needed
it's absolutely the best way to keep this game very active :)

oh well, I'll just shut up now and hope that something better comes along soon -__-

You sound too much tin-foil-hat, man
Dr. Delta
Veteran
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to Site News