Your chance to get creative and take part in the various design challenges

Moderators: 904, Zecrah

Re: Map Battle 34 - Port

Postby Australian Bushman on Tue May 05, 2009 3:35 am

PhilE wrote:
904 wrote:don't!
here's a wip:

Blatant copy?

Good spotting. I hope you've contacted the original artist for his permission, 904.

source-maps wrote:omg 'a map' is something totally different then that render in your link :S

Not entirely, and even if it was, what difference would it make?
Australian Bushman
Regular
Regular

Postby srredfire on Tue May 05, 2009 3:52 am

Dude, 904. You should TOTALLY put a radar on the end of that crane. Also, wouldn't it be cool if you took a picture like, from the side, and maybe, line it up with a bunch of others and had the sun in the distance casting God Rays from the background? That'd be so cool!
Last edited by srredfire on Tue May 05, 2009 3:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
srredfire
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Kremator on Tue May 05, 2009 3:54 am

That just made this quote all the more funny.

904 wrote:probably high in the sky on the edge of space, but then i need some sort of bigass spaceship, like a space cruise-vessel (and a skybox..)
Kremator
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Postby 904 on Tue May 05, 2009 11:03 am

tHe edge of space would be more against a backdrop above the clouds, with the glow of the atmosphere in the back. there are some beautiful NASA pictures of that.
blatant copy: not intentional, I've seen this render quite a while ago and apparently it' s structural style stuck in my memory.
that image is not what I'm aiming for though. my intention is to expand this, more like Rotterdam meets ISS.
but conclusions have already been drawn, so I'm not so sure anymore
Design Section Moderator

Postby source-maps on Tue May 05, 2009 12:42 pm

904 wrote:but conclusions have already been drawn, so I'm not so sure anymore

nah you should go for it! :-)
source-maps
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Sathor on Tue May 05, 2009 12:48 pm

Haha, some people think they get their ideas from a black hole, appereantly ... just because you don't remember your reference ... you still have some kind of subliminal (whatever) reference yourself. So shut up :roll:
Sathor

Postby Australian Bushman on Tue May 05, 2009 3:33 pm

source-maps wrote:

And contact the original artist first for his permission...
Australian Bushman
Regular
Regular

Postby punky on Tue May 05, 2009 5:04 pm

Australian Bushman wrote:
source-maps wrote:

That's not even necessary, he's not going to use it for commercial stuff and he's not literally copying that render... Almost all of my map battle entries are based of renders/concept art/photo's...
punky
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Australian Bushman on Wed May 06, 2009 3:03 am

punky wrote:
Australian Bushman wrote:
source-maps wrote:

That's not even necessary, he's not going to use it for commercial stuff and he's not literally copying that render... Almost all of my map battle entries are based of renders/concept art/photo's...

Commercial use isn't relevant here. And yes, "he's not literally copying that render", we can see that.

What is being copied is the design of that ship. A design requiring the original artist's creativity and effort.

There's a discernible difference between basing an idea, taking inspiration and copying. Unfortunately for 904, copying something as specific as someone else's uniquely created ship, unless permission is given, doesn't really leave room for any justification.

904, why not just come up with your own ship design? The idea of a port on the edge of the world sounds great and you shouldn't need to copy anything. I'm sure you could achieve a similar stunning result with your own design.

And for the record, it's depressing to see a modding community encouraging copying another artist's work rather than encouraging unique, creative ideas. I thought we would all be aiming for more professionalism and respect than that.
Australian Bushman
Regular
Regular

Postby Kremator on Wed May 06, 2009 3:13 am

I second this man's opinion - reference pictures are fine but mapping should be about creating your own content using it as inspiration, that's why it's called a "reference" picture. I always disagree with people who try to make exact duplicate of a picture or a photo - it's detrimental to creativity imo.

But yeah, it's much less about whether you make profit out of it or not and more about the ideology behind it. If I were the artist of the piece I probably spent some time in thinking it up and actually making it so I wouldn't be too happy about people copying my ideas, whether it be subliminal or intentional. (I still don't believe someone could "subliminally" copy such an odd design and duplicate it so accurately however-just my two cents)

Hopefully I'm not being too anal with this but it's really something people should start thinking about imo.
Kremator
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Postby blackdeath on Wed May 06, 2009 3:24 am

some of you people are nuts. have you not read the history of art and how everything comes from everything else? there is a distinct difference between copying something exactly, trying to recreate something from someone else's work (you realize every great artist spent years copying others work just to learn, right?), creating an inspiration from it, and recreating a mere scene from scratch based off of a reference image.

fuckin relax, it's not remotely illegal, unethical, or immoral. next you'll be saying sketching the sistine chapel fresco is equivilent to genocide.
blackdeath
Regular
Regular

Postby vcool on Wed May 06, 2009 4:51 am

blackdeath, no one so far in this thread was flaming. Every post has been well written with well presented arguments. "fuckin relax" is out of place here, because no one is angry.

We need more WIPs and less philosophy here, guys. :P

Neighborhood Forum Elitist
vcool
Veteran
Veteran

Postby otihome2469 on Wed May 06, 2009 5:24 am

srredfire wrote:Dude, 904. You should TOTALLY put a radar on the end of that crane. Also, wouldn't it be cool if you took a picture like, from the side, and maybe, line it up with a bunch of others and had the sun in the distance casting God Rays from the background? That'd be so cool!

well if sarcasm counts as an insult lol.
otihome2469
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Postby blackdeath on Wed May 06, 2009 5:34 am

vcool wrote:blackdeath, no one so far in this thread was flaming. Every post has been well written with well presented arguments. "fuckin relax" is out of place here, because no one is angry.

We need more WIPs and less philosophy here, guys. :P

Yeah, and I wasn't trying to flame anyone, it's just that when people say things like "i thought we were all professionals here; i'm so disappointed that people don't agree that this isn't flagrant violation of copyright" I just as interpret that as someone who wants to flame but is too polite to actually say what they mean. Either keep it impartial or expect a flame is response, I figure, and if my flame is cruder than anothers, well, that just means I'm too busy making WIPs or (trying to) contributing something. 8)

I mean a debate over fair use is one thing, people assuming that they are an expert on fair use and going off on some tirade against people or the "community" because of that is just lame (even more so when they're wrong on the actual facts, imo).

So I'm an ass, so what. :roll:
blackdeath
Regular
Regular

Postby Mr-Jigsaw on Wed May 06, 2009 7:33 am

Wouldn't the fact that they were polite enough not to flame mean that you're the real instigator in this potential flamewar? It doesn't matter what someone could have done, all that matters is what is done.

And yeah, it is truly difficult to create any piece of art that doesn't take elements from earlier pieces. But that still doesn't even mean you're copying something, knowingly that is.

And we are only seeing part of the scene, I'm sure after he works on it some more, it will all come together, and the similarities will lessen.
Mr-Jigsaw
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

PreviousNext

Return to Design Section